Advanced Search

LatinNews Daily - 15 September 2020

Click here for printer friendly version
Click here for full report

In brief: Honduras gov’t unveils 2021 budget proposal

* Honduras’s finance ministry (Sefin) has presented its 2021 state budget proposal for L288bn (US$11.69bn), a 1% fall on the 2020 budget. A Sefin press release notes that the initiative responds to the sanitary and economic crisis stemming from the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic which is expected to result in Honduras’s GDP contracting 6.1% in 2020 on the latest forecast from the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America & the Caribbean (Eclac). According to a Sefin press release, 56.4% of the budget (L162bn) will be assigned to the central government and the remaining 43.6% to decentralised institutions. It assigns L12.64bn to productive development and road infrastructure projects and L294.9m to social infrastructure, including strengthening hospital infrastructure and the response to the Covid-19 emergency. The budget initiative now goes to the 128-member unicameral legislature for approval which must take place before 31 December.