Advanced Search

LatinNews Daily - 11 May 2021

Click here for printer friendly version
Click here for full report

In brief: Mexico’s tourist arrivals plunge in March

* Mexico’s national statistics institute (Inegi) has released the latest figures on tourist arrivals to the country, according to which 4.2m visitors entered the country in March, a 36% decrease on the number of visitors received a year earlier, in March 2020, as the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic was just beginning to grip the world. Of these, 2.3m were international tourists, a 17.4% decrease compared with March 2020. Total spending by international tourists fell 5.1% year-on-year to US$1.14bn, although average spending per international tourist increased by 14.8%. More than three-quarters (78.7%) of international tourists entered by air, with the remaining 21.3% entering by land. One of the world’s top tourist destinations, Mexico has few coronavirus-related entry restrictions to foreigners compared to other countries, although in mid-March it closed its southern land border to all non-essential travel.