Advanced Search

LatinNews Daily - 11 June 2021

Click here for printer friendly version
Click here for full report

In brief: EU announces aid for Central America

* The European Union (EU) has announced that it will allocate €18.5m (US$22.5m) in aid for Central America and Mexico. Of the total, €12m represents humanitarian funding for Central America, and €6.5m constitutes development assistance. An official press release notes that Central America and Mexico are regularly exposed to natural hazards requiring emergency aid for around 1.7m people per year. Climate change and the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic threaten the food security of vulnerable populations in the 'dry corridor' of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. At least 7.7m people are in need of food assistance. For 2019-2020, the EU allocated €26.3m to respond to different needs across the sub-region. It adds that since 1994, the EU has allocated €257.4m in humanitarian aid to Central America and Mexico, of which 66% has helped to respond to emergencies such as floods, droughts, epidemics, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, internal displacements and the humanitarian consequences of violence while the remaining 34% has been invested in preparing vulnerable communities and their institutions to face future disasters.