LatinNews Daily - 28 March 2022

In brief: Blockades lifted on Bolivia-Peru highway

* Protesters in the Bolivian border municipality of Desaguadero (La Paz department) have lifted roadblocks that had obstructed a key highway between Bolivia and Peru since 18 March. The protest was suspended following a meeting between demonstrators and the public works minister, Édgar Montaño, to discuss the construction of a long-awaited dual carriageway. According to a statement from the public works ministry, the government has agreed to fund 80% of the estimated US$428m cost of the planned road, while the La Paz departmental government will cover the remaining 20%. Construction of the dual carriageway was supposed to commence in 2018, but the project is still in the design phase.

End of preview - This article contains approximately 110 words.

Subscribers: Log in now to read the full article

Not a Subscriber?

Choose from one of the following options

Intelligence Research Ltd.
167-169 Great Portland Street,
5th floor,
London, W1W 5PF - UK
Phone : +44 (0) 203 695 2790
You may contact us via our online contact form
Copyright © 2022 Intelligence Research Ltd. All rights reserved.